Re: GCSE store motion

--On Wednesday, May 15, 2002 11:38:03 AM -0600 "law@redhat.com"
<law@redhat.com> wrote:

> In message <17950000.1021482109@gandalf.codesourcery.com>, Mark Mitchell
> writes:  > Dan's claim seems to be that nobody has a real-world
> application that  > shows an improvement with store motion enabled.  If
> that's true, we  > don't need that optimization enabled.  We can keep the
> code, and use  > it when it becomes more useful, but there's no reason to
> be running  > that pass.
>  >
>  > If, however, someone has real applications that show measurable
>  > improvents -- the Linux kernel would certainly qualify -- then we
>  > should rethink the issue.

> Would games on a very popular game console work?

Sure!  Do we have any numbers at all?  (I know you said it was difficult
to measure...)

I think there are two issues:

1. Correctness.

2. Efficacy.

There seems to be some debate on (1), but assuming that the optimization
is correct, we're down to (2).  As long as the optimization doesn't
take unreasonably long to run, and as long as it helps some real programs
without hurting most of them, we should have it.