GCC 3.1 Ada status for various platforms

I've recently tried to bootstrap various GCC 3.1 configurations with ada
support, namely sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1, sparc-sun-solaris2.8,
mips-sgi-irix6.2, mips-sgi-irix6.5, alpha-dec-osf4.0f, alpha-dec-osf5.1,
and i386-pc-solaris2.8.

I had to start from widely different binary distributions to get an
acceptable bootstrap compiler (i.e. GNAT 3.13p or newer), available from

	ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/private/old/

* GNAT 3.12p (alpha-dec-osf4.0d)

* GNAT 3.12p (i386-pc-solaris2.6)

* GNAT 3.11p (mips-sgi-irix5.3)

* GNAT 3.13p (sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1)

Having to bootstrap up to at least 3.13p over one or two steps is
certainly a mess and nothing that can be reasonably expected from GCC
users.  Are there any plans to provide more binary distributions of GNAT
bootstrap compilers for the GCC 3.1 release, either 3.13p, 3.14p or 3.15p
(i.e. GCC 3.1 itself)?

Anyway, those bootstraps finally succeeded (getting from alpha-dec-osf4.0d
to osf4.0f was messiest since I had to replace the fixincluded files
with matching ones from V4.0F to allow the compiler to be usable at all),
and the resulting GCC 2.8.1-based gcc/GNAT was usable even on osf5.1 with
-Wa,-oldas added.

With those bootstrap GNAT installations, I was able to successfully build
GCC 3.1 20020502 (C and Ada only) on all the platforms mentioned above,
albeit only serially at that time.  On IRIX 6.[25], I had to manually
disable optimization when compiling a-except.adb to avoid an ICE:

| 3.13p  (20000509) (mips-sgi-irix6.2) Gigi abort, Code=999                |
| Error detected at /vol/gnu/src/gcc/gcc-3.1-branch-dist/gcc/ada/a-except.adb:1392:7|

Even make gnatlib_and_tools succeeded on all platforms but
mips-sgi-irix6.[25], where I get many ICEs like the following:

| 3.1 (20020501) (mips-sgi-irix6.2) GCC error:                             |
| Internal compiler error in handle_epilogue_set, at function.c:7521       |
| Error detected at a-chahan.adb:428:4                                     |

This error persists even without any optimization.  I've filed PR ada/6552
for this issue.

Overall, Ada status on the branch looks reasonable over the platforms
investigated, though I cannot be sure due to the lack of a testsuite.

As has been pointed out, it's critically important that the build procedure
be improved in time for the GCC 3.2 release: the current manual procedure,
lack of readily available bootstrap compilers, and missing support for
parallel bootstraps will certainly deter all but the most determined users.

	Rainer