Re: Regressions in 3.2

--On Tuesday, May 14, 2002 11:52:30 AM +0200 Gerald Pfeifer
<pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 May 2002, Brad Lucier wrote:
>> So I'd just like to point out that there are 500+ regressions on
>> sparc-sun-solaris2.8 from the 3.1 prerelease:
>>
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2002-05/msg00389.html
>
> And several other nasty regression on mainline. For example c++/6611
>   http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&pr=6611
> is a really bad one (for me at least).
>
> Mark, how shall we deal with such regressions? Mark them high in GNATS
> or wait until GCC 3.2 has branched?

I'm not sure how to answer the GNATS question.  We really need a "release"
field to indicate for which release the bug is high priority.  I'd prefer
to keep high priority for the 3.1 branch, at this point.

On the other hand, you're definitely right; these bugs need to get fixed
-- and soon!  Independently of what we do with GNATS, we need to get them
fixed.  Please track down the patches that caused your problems, and ask
the person who made the change to fix the problem.  If that's not working,
I'll ask that we freeze the tree until the problems get fixed.

Let's make this clear: although the mainline is an appropriate place for
new, sometimes destabilizing work, it's not a place for regressions.  If
you've made a mess, it's your obligation to go clean up your mess as
quickly as possible.