Re: Minimal GCC/Linux shared lib + EH bug example

"David Abrahams" <david.abrahams@rcn.com> writes:

> I think that's a mischaracterization of my position. Have you read my other
> postings (especially http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-05/msg00869.html)?

Why keep you asking whether people have read important information
that you have shared? Please just assume they did, and don't hesitate
to repeat information in context, perhaps with different wording, to
make you better understood, in case you feel you weren't understood
the first time.

> > That would be equally wrong,
>
> Wrongness can't be determined until the standard describes the behavior of
> shared libs.

In absence of a well definition, people usually consider the compiler
"wrong" if it doesn't do what they expect it to do.

> In this case a redesign of the library which uses a non-inline function
> fixes the problem.

By redesigning the code of the library, every problem can be
solved. Just don't throw exceptions across DSO boundaries, and this
specific problem goes away.

> I wouldn't know where to start with that one. Is there an explicit way to
> mark a symbol "weak"?

On the assember level, with the .weak directive. On C level, either
with a __asm__ statement, or (I believe) with an
__attribute__((weak)).

Regards,
Martin