Re: Compiling GCC With Binutils

>Mornin',
>
>I've been incorporating binutils-2.12 into my GCC builds by
>unpacking binutils-2.12 in the GCC source directory and letting
>the configure script detect the presence of binutils. That is:
>
>$ gzip -cd gcc-mumble.tar.gz | tar -xf -
>$ cd gcc-mumble
>$ gzip -cd ../binutils-2.12.tar.gz -xf -
>$ mv binutils-2.12 binutils
>$ cd OBJDIR
>$ SRCDIR/configure --mumble
>
>Is this the preferred way to incorporate binutils into the build or is
>there One True Way (tm) that I should use instead. Obviously, I could
>reduce the build time by installing the new binutils onto the system.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Kurt

I'm not sure there is a True Way, but I try to emulate the RedHat, nee Cygnus, way.

Unpack GCC
Unpack Binutils
And merge the two.

Specifically move the "bfd", "binutils", "etc", "include"*, "gas", "gprof", "intl", "ld", "opcodes", and "texinfo" directories from binutils-mumble to gcc-mumble.

Note that GCC's toplevel "include" is a subset of binutils while the "config" and "libiberty" should be the same (modulo any changes in whichever is the newer package).

If you do this then the top-level configure will do the right thing -- especially if you are attempting a cross-compile.

Kelley Cook