Re: Coding standards (was treelang patch)

> ALL formatting should be tabs. it allows everyone to choose their own
> indenting levels.

This is really not a feasible idea. To have tabs mean anything other than
the standard 8 characters is really hostile. And the existing gcc sources
are simply unreadable with an indentation of 8 (which is I think an absurdly
high value for indentation). That means that you would require everyone to
read the gcc sources with non-standard tab settings.

The idea of being able to change the indent by changing the tab setting is
a cute one, but not workable in practice. Any decent pretty printer can
trivially change the indentation level in any case, and furthermore, I
don't think it is helpful to encourage people to read the gcc sources in
other than the standard layout.