This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: documentation on the build process
- From: Phil Edwards <phil at jaj dot com>
- To: Per Fransson <per dot fransson dot 768 at student dot lu dot se>
- Cc: gcc <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 00:38:02 -0400
- Subject: Re: documentation on the build process
- References: <3CDEC3AD.firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 09:34:05PM +0200, Per Fransson wrote:
> I'm wondering if there is any documentation available on GCC:s build
> process: how the makefiles are constructed during configuring and how
> the makefiles themselves are organized.
For starters, there's a chapter in the "GCC Internals" manual. Look in
the online documentation linked off of the home page.
Many subdirectories use autoconf, and some of those additionally use
automake, so to understand those, go to sources.redhat.com and read the
online manuals for those two packages.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater
than the animating contest for freedom, go home and leave us in peace. We seek
not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you;
and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. - Samuel Adams