Re: Coding standards (was treelang patch)

On Sun, 12 May 2002, Robert Dewar wrote:

> I think it is a very bad idea to have hard tab characters in sources, since
> it can lead to bogus differences between files (unless you have canonical
> rules requiring maximal tabs). In GNAT we forbid tabs or trailing spaces (same
> ind of consideration) in Ada sources.
>
> But I think that random tabs in gcc C sources is well established. I know
> that when I tried to argue for the no tabs rule in the GNAT C sources Richard
> Kenner argued strongly against this.

If there is a GCC rule about tabs, it should (given existing practice) be
that maximal tabs are used for indentation.

I would however like a coding convention that says no trailing spaces
(except of course where the cpp testsuite tests handling of "\ " at end of
line).  (I remove trailing spaces from time to time in the manuals.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk