Some comments concerning GCC 3.1

Well I read the criteria on the GCC homepage and
everything seemed quite reasonable, but I still have
this question. Can't the C compiler be optimised so
that the output is faster ( not that it is produced
faster, that it executes faster) ? Or, if compiler
optimisations of this sort are not possible, couldn't
there be more GCC specific language features ( in
other words, language features present GCC-specific)?
I don't really know how compilers actually work, but I
believe that most developers are willing to sacrifice
compile time in order to win execution time.

Thanks for your time,
Vassilis Pandis