HELP - C++ COMPILER

My name is Steve Ogolla. I am a college student  and
I'm doing an assignment concerning C++ Compilers. I
would be very grateful if you could provide me with
any information regarding the various components of
the C++ compiler (ie the Parser etc) and what each
component does.ie. ITS FUNCTION.I have visited various
websites including the gcc.gnu.org but this
information is not available. The websites just
contain a number of *.zip file which all work as a c++
compiler when unzipped into the same folder.

I would like to understand more about the C++
compiler.

Any information whatsoever will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Steve Ogolla
ogollasteve@yahoo.com