Re: Prerelease

Toon Moene wrote:

> > > I cannot for the love of it understand how so many last-minute changes
> > > need to be applied to the 3.1 branch.  It's not that it isn't already in
> > > existence for half a year.
>
> > Because a lot of regressions were only noticed at the last minute.
>
> Well, this is exactly what I think is wrong with our "regression
> handling".
>
> We shouldn't act on every regression that surfaces in the last minute
> like it should uphold the release.
>
> My take on it is that we should establish a no-later-than date for
> release-inhibiting "regressions".

Looking back, I was still testing gcc 3.0.4 around the end of
February.  I think in a large way it is a matter of focus and
people just paid more attention to gcc 3.0.x than 3.1 until
3.1 appeared closer.  I know I did.

And even now, I am paying a lot closer attention to 3.1 than
the main branch.

> --
> Toon Moene - mailto:toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl - phoneto: +31 346 214290
> Saturnushof 14, 3738 XG  Maartensdijk, The Netherlands
> Maintainer, GNU Fortran 77: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/g77_news.html
> Join GNU Fortran 95: http://g95.sourceforge.net/ (under construction)

   Support Available             (256) 722-9985