upcoming SSE/SSE2 support in 3.1

I am getting very excited about the coming release of gcc 3.1 (as many
are.)  First, let me say, I considered sending this question to gcc-help,
as it seemed more approriate, but I felt unsure that the proper audience
would be there to answer question about upcoming products.  My question
deals with how automatic SSE(2) code generation is.  I do research work in
image vision, and am curious how well operations such as adding two images
would be optimized.  In other words, a typical operation would be to
iteratively go through data that is consecutive in memory with two sources
and a destination.  Is this likely to get SSE(2) code generated
automatically, or should I spend time looking at writing custom assembly.

Thanks, for any help and all your hard work!

--
Jim Wray