Re: Benchmarks gcc 3.0.4 (soon 3.1) vs. Intel C++ 6.0

> HI,
>
> I asked RedHat's Richard Henderson about which options I should use for
> getting the fastest code from gcc; he only suggested -O2. In fact, he wasn't
> real hot on -O3 (which I used) because he thought it might slow code down
> through bloat.

It depends on the nature of code you do use.
Using -O2 results in overall best resuts, as it does not trade too much of code
size for speed, but in case of code with small internal loops unrolling helps,
similary for code with many function calls inlining helps.
Your code generally seems to stress abstraction penalty or contain small loops.

You may take a look at http://www.suse.de/~aj/SPEC for study of effect of
various switches on gcc 3.0.0 and SPEC benchmark.

Note that comparing gcc to Intel C++, Intel C++ seems to win for numeric code,
while for integer code, the results are usually much more balanced.

Honza