This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Potential gcc-3.1 install problem
- From: Zoltan Hidvegi <hzoli at hzoli dot 2y dot net>
- To: rittle at latour dot rsch dot comm dot mot dot com (Loren James Rittle)
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 23:50:38 -0500 (CDT)
- Subject: Re: Potential gcc-3.1 install problem
> > [...] I edited the Makefile and run
> > make install again. That's where all the trouble starts. [...]
> Thank you for the detailed report. We do not recommend non-developers
> (of gcc) rerunning make within a bootstrap tree (fully made or partial).
Sure, and I was not trying to do that, I was only running make
install. What happened to me could happen to anyone who runs into
some trouble during make install and tries to troubleshoot editing the
Makefile. I did not expect that editing the Makefile causes
recompilation of some objects, and the result is a compiler that seems
to work correctly, except it handles errors and warnings incorrectly.
When it happened to me, I thought gcc was broken, and I was searching
the mail list if anyone else had this problem, and I did not find
anything, so I figured I must be doing something wrong, and I have to
debug this myself.