Re: Long bootstrap/check times on sparc

   From: Brad Lucier <lucier@math.purdue.edu>
   Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 11:46:10 -0500 (EST)

   Solaris is not so bad when you can build the libraries with make -j 4, say,
   and overlap some of their outrageous file access and system times.
   Perhaps someone can figure out how to fix this problem with gnu make.

In my experience 'make -k -jN check' is the real dog.  I can fully
bootstrap twice or so on a dual-cpu Ultra running Linux in the time a
monster 32 cpu Solaris box takes to make check.

It's all process creation + file system overhead.

Doing the build on tmpfs (rofl) helps the build out but doesn't help
the make check times much at all.

I am happy someone brought up the libjava parallel building issue, I
had noticed that as well and it would help substantially to fix that
on every platform :-)