Re: PR 6212

> The type of a pointer is -- in your average type system -- purely
> dependent on the type pointed to by the pointer.  To say it points to
> one kind of type, but another kind of object, is to have substantially
> enrichened your type system in a way that is not clearly beneficial.

I think you mean something like "representation of a pointer and allowable
operations". Obviously the statement you gave is not true in any language
with name equivalence of types. For example in Ada

   type A is access Integer;
   type B is access Integer;

describe two quite different types (and indeed in Ada you cannot even
assign one to the other, since these might be separate storage pools).
Even if you force interconvertability

   type A is access all Integer;
   type B is access all Integer;

they are still quite different types.