Re: Deciphering flags in CXX_FOR_TARGET

Nathanael Nerode <neroden@doctormoo.dyndns.org> writes:

| On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 12:51:55PM -0700, Geoff Keating wrote:
| >
| > > One bit, however, is quite odd.  It adds certain flags to
| > > CXX_FOR_TARGET.  These flags are generated by
| > > `libstdc++-v3/testsuite_flags --build-includes`.  This is only done if
| > > 'testsuite_flags' exists, which is only true if libstdc++-v3 has been
| > > configured.
| >
| > If you don't get a better answer, my suggestion would be to delete the
| > inclusion of these flags from a local combined tree, and try to build
| > and test.  If the flags are necessary, something should break...
| >
| > I suspect they're necessary for building libstdc++-v3 or libjava, and
| > that the weirdness is actually a bug.
| Heh.  Actually, that's the one thing I'm absolutely sure they're not
| necessary for, since they're explicitly avoided in those two contexts!

I'm not sure I understand your comment.  Maybe the name of script is
ill-choosen but at the time it was first created that name was
descriptive.

Initially, we used it to generare flags necessary to properly build
and test libstdc++-v3.  Then as things were growing we factorized all
the places where we needed to know which flags are appropriate to use
libstdc++ in that script.  In short, any program that needs to locate
g++ and the library headers should invoke that script to figure out
which flags to use.  That is true for the testsuite; that should be
true for libgcj (we already had that discussion in the past).

-- Gaby