This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: PR 6212
- From: Neil Booth <neil at daikokuya dot demon dot co dot uk>
- To: Richard Kenner <kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu>
- Cc: mark at codesourcery dot com, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 05:54:37 +0100
- Subject: Re: PR 6212
- References: <10205080310.AA01230@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu>
Richard Kenner wrote:-
> Moreover, what do you do about bitfields? Do we now have types with sizes that
> are not multiples of bytes?
The current implementation of bitfields is quite broken in GCC; they are
given a type and value range mostly of the declared type. They should
have a new type whose precision is the bitfield's precision. That they
don't is the cause of at least 5 open PR's in GNATS and many nasty bugs.