Re: Algol Front End

<<Algol 60 is a rather small and very clean language.  Bob Dewar said
"probably > C" -- I would say smaller than C and certainly easier.
That would make a good starting point.  The reference is the "Revised
Report on Algol 60 (Backus, Naur, et al., 1962 or thereabouts)

(by the way I am Robert, never Bob :-)

The reason I say > C is
dynamic arrays
nested subprograms
call by name
untyped parameters (though I would actually go with Algol-60 modified to
get rid of this problem).

I am not at all sure that Algol-60 is easier than C, but it's a matter
of opinion certainly they are both easy small languages.