Re: new glibc and gcc in the new directories

Scribbling feverishly on May 07, Ildar Gabdulline managed to emit:
> Hello,
>
> I am going to install gcc and glibc into separate directories instead of
> defaults, for example:
> /home/contrib/glibc and /home/contrib/gcc
>
> Could you please let me know the procedure of doing that ?

Use --prefix=/home/contrib with the configure scripts for glibc and
gcc.

> What should I configure so all my software will use new glibc and new gcc ?

Well, this isn't a glibc list, but you should be able to use the
instructions at http://www.imaxx.net/~thrytis/glibc/Glibc2-HOWTO-6.html to
figure out how to tell your software to link against the new glibc.

The easiest way to use your new gcc is to make sure the it appears in
your search path ($PATH) before the existing gcc.

I strongly encourage you to read the installation instructions for gcc
http://gcc.gnu.org/install.

Blessed be,

Kurt
--
Blessed are the young for they shall inherit the national debt.