Re: Deciphering flags in CXX_FOR_TARGET

On May  7, 2002, Nathanael Nerode <neroden@doctormoo.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Perhaps an 'install-for-build' in each subdirectory which would
> copy/move/link/symlink its output files to a tree mirroring the install
> tree would do the trick?

Nope.  We can't install into the build tree, we really have to build
the tools into the tree-for-install, and install them from there.

This is critical for correct functioning of libtool-build libraries
and executables.  They're created with a notion of where they're
expected to be installed, and installing them elsewhere doesn't always
produce correct results.  But libtool can tell `build' from `install'
files, so if we build them in a location in the build tree in which
they will work, and then install them from there, things will work
fine.

> Perhaps we could just convince each subdirectory to put its files in
> a reasonable place without calling 'install', but that sounds harder.

Unfortunately this is what we have to do for correct functioning, at
least for pieces that use libtool.

There's a longer message about this in a thread started by Per
Bothner, IIRC, in late February this year.  You may want to have a
look into that.  I've never wanted to ask you to do that cause it
might scare you away, but since you got this far, and you appear to be
interested in tackling this problem, I think it will do more good to
get you involved now :-)

Thanks,