Re: Deciphering flags in CXX_FOR_TARGET

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 07:14:59PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> I think the right way to clean this up properly, which was suggested
> earlier by someone else (Per?), is to get compilers and target
> libraries built in a tree that mirrors the install tree, such that the
> compiler is able to use the intelligence it already has to locate
> headers and libraries yet to be installed.  This would obviate the
> hideous hack in CXX_FOR_TARGET.  Unfortunately, we can't drop it
> before we move to this saner build structure.

Hmm.  A new structure might also allow for the cleanup of dozens
of less hideous hacks; things which look for 'gcc/xgcc', 'ld/ld-new',
etc.  These, I can more easily deal with, but getting rid of all the
special-case code would be a win.

Perhaps an 'install-for-build' in each subdirectory which would
copy/move/link/symlink its output files to a tree mirroring the install
tree would do the trick?

Perhaps we could just convince each subdirectory to put its files in
a reasonable place without calling 'install', but that sounds harder.

More thoughts from the wise?

--Nathanael