Re: PR 6212

    > Say you have an object whose type is 1-byte integer
    > with a user-specifed alignment of 32 bits.  What do you do?

	new = build_type_copy (char_type_node);
	TYPE_ALIGN (new) = 32;

I don't believe we support such a thing.

    Why are you creating a record type?  Surely that's the pain
    you're saying you'll have converting to and from the new type.

Why create *any* extra type?  Even if the above can be made to work, why
have the conversions?

And what about if the type is a record type and the object is that record type
with a different alignment?   You can't simply build a copy of that type
since DECL_CONTEXT will be wrong on the (now shared) fields.