This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: PR 6212
- From: Richard Henderson <rth at redhat dot com>
- To: Richard Kenner <kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 15:37:46 -0700
- Subject: Re: PR 6212
- References: <10205072220.AA29995@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu>
On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 06:20:41PM -0400, Richard Kenner wrote:
> Say you have an object whose type is 1-byte integer
> with a user-specifed alignment of 32 bits. What do you do?
new = build_type_copy (char_type_node);
TYPE_ALIGN (new) = 32;
> If you say that DECL_ALIGN must equal TYPE_ALIGN, you end up constructing
> a record type containing the character as a field and have to deal with
> converting to and from it.
Why are you creating a record type? Surely that's the pain
you're saying you'll have converting to and from the new type.