Re: PR 6212

    Grr.  I think this is a serious mistake.  The type should
    hold all of this information so that it would be possible
    in principal to have a pointer to a packed int.

Packed fields aren't necessarily even on a byte boundary.

    It also means my alignment patch yesterday is probably
    wrong for packed fields at the moment.

I think you could construct such a case, yes.  But it's also unlikely
because you are only specifying the alignment *of the offset*.