Re: Algol Front end

More documentation on writing a front end would be good. Joachim
Nadler's thesis cannot be included in the GCC manual for copyright
reasons. It is also out of date now.

I am working on a COBOL front end for GCC.
http://cobolforgcc.sourceforge.net. Modern CPUs and GCC have some
trouble with COBOLisms like packed decimal.

I need a good sort/merge implementation for COBOL if you are after
something interesting but not too large. I definitely don't recommend
starting a new language yourself unless you have a lot of tree time.

By the way the sample language treelang is now part of the GCC source
tree (gcc3.2 experimental - the detault checkout, not the weekly
snapshot). The manual needs some work but the code works.

Helping with Fortran could be useful too.

Tim Josling