Re: PR 6212

    Seems like it would be nice if "fold" would just give us back the original
    thing, there, but that's hardly a general solution.

It does and that's indeed the problem: if it didn't fold it, things would
work OK.

    Good, I like this patch.  Please run the complete set of tests and then
    check it in.

I get some strange error messages when I try to run the G++ testsuite,
most likely because there's something I haven't fully recovered from backups
yet.  But it bootstraps and the C test are fine.