Re: Post-register-allocation opportunitistic optimizer?

On Fri, 3 May 2002, Richard Henderson wrote:

> On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 02:42:02PM -0700, tm wrote:
> > If I understand correctly, define_peephole2 will optimize the first two
> > sequences (assuming they both use one hard reg apiece) and fail to
> > optimize the rest of the cases.
>
> Why do you think this?  The set of live registers is recomputed
> for every independent peep2 optimization.  Thus they should all
> be optimized.

Maybe I didn't communicate well.

Imagine a situation in a basic block with two hard registers free.
An analysis of the code reveals the following possible optimizations:

optimization    scratch hard regs       RTX_COST
opportunity         required            benefit
   #1                 1                   3
   #2                 1                   5
   #3                 2                  11

In this case, if you perform optimization #1 first, then there is only
one hard register free, and only optimization #2 can be performed for a
total benefit of 3 + 5 = 8.

However, better heuristics should decide to spend the two hard registers
on optimization #3 which yields a net benefit of 11, which is better than
optimizations #1 and #2 combined.

Toshi