Re: PR 5904: maintainership of GNU Ada

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Joe Buck wrote:

> I asked a while back if there were any remaining "political" Ada issues
> (other than the battles over requirements for bootstrapping).  There
> is still PR 5904, marked as "high": many files say
>
>  * GNAT was originally developed  by the GNAT team at  New York University. *
>  * It is now maintained by Ada Core Technologies Inc (http://www.gnat.com). *

A slightly related issue: the bogus "contact ACT" and "ACT does not
currently supply" references are still present in the Ada front end
manual; all of them in the 3.1 branch manual, and one in the mainline
manual (PR ada/6399).

"Ada Core Technologies does not currently supply a suitable binding
generator tool." and "For information on GLADE, contact Ada Core
Technologies." are some of the dubious sentences.

The manuals also list ACT as their author; just as companies aren't FSF
maintainers, I understand they aren't authors of FSF manuals either
(people are).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk