Re: material for 3.1 release announcement

On Fri, 3 May 2002, Jan Hubicka wrote:
> Here is an attempt to do so.

Thanks!

> +       HREF="http://people.redhat.com/dnovillo/SPEC";>SPEC95</a> benchmark suites
> +       are now used daily to monitor performance of the generated code
"href" instead of "HREF", and I believe that both URLs lack a trailing
"/".

> +       to avoid
> +       performance regressions to leak into compiler and stay unnoticed.</p>

I'd omit this part, because "monitoring" already implies this, and we are
also interested to spot improvements, aren't we? ;-)

> +       <p>According to the SPECInt2000 results on AMD Athlon CPU, the code
> +       generated by GCC 3.1.0 is at the average 6% faster (8.2% faster with
> +       profile feedback) compared to GCC 3.0.0.

"on an AMD Athlon", "is 6% faster on average", "with profile driven
feedback".

For historical reasons the first releases are called 3.1 and 3.0,
respectively.

> +       Tests were done with <code>-O2
> +       -march=athlon</code> command line options.</p>

And I believe there is an </li> missing at the end.

The patch is fine with the changes above. To make sure, please run the
validator (by clicking the button in the lower right corner of the web
page) after the commit.

Thanks!

Gerald