Re: material for 3.1 release announcement

> On Thu, 2 May 2002, Joe Buck wrote:
>
> > It seems that no one has collected a list of features to brag about for
> > the 3.1 release.  Some highlights off the top of my head:
> >
> > * New x86 backend, with much better codegen for newer Intel processors
> >   including the P4, which was handled poorly by earlier gcc's.
> >
> > * Sparc version: one compiler generates both 32-bit and 64-bit code (-m64)
> >
> > * New AMD Hammer (x86-64) backend.
> >
> > * Integrated GNU Ada frontend.
> >
> > * Much-improved C++ standard library with great Doxygen-generated
> >   hypertext documentation.
> >
> > * Many bug fixes.
> >
> > Please send suggestions for others, or any comments on the above list.
>
> ...and go ahead an commit patches describing any such new features
> to gcc-3.1/changes.html.
This reminds me, that I would like to have the profile stuff mentioned in
hope that people will actually start to use it.

*** changes.html.1	Thu May  2 17:19:05 2002
--- changes.html	Thu May  2 19:06:59 2002
*************** GCC 3.1 Changes, New Features, and Fixes
*** 59,65 ****
  <h2>General Optimizer Improvements</h2>

  <ul>
!   <li>dummy</li>
  </ul>

--- 59,73 ----
  <h2>General Optimizer Improvements</h2>

  <ul>
!   <li>Jan Hubicka, SuSE Labs, together with Richard Henderson, Red Hat, and
!       Andreas Jaeger, SuSE Labs, has contributed <a
!       href="news/profiledriven.html">infrastructure for profile driven
!       optimizations</a>
!       Options -fprofile-arcs and -fbranch-probabilities can now be used to
!       improve speed of the generated code by profiling the actual program
!       behaviour on typical run.  In the absence of profile info compiler
!       attempts to guess the profile statically.</p>
  </ul>