Re: [Ada] Patch to fix bug reporting instructions (3.1 branch)

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 07:50:59AM -0700, Joe Buck wrote:
> I wrote:
> > > I think that it suffices to provide accurate installation instructions.
> > > It's too hard to produce software that detects and behaves correctly in
> > > any possible situation.  That is, if someone follows the instructions they
> > > get a working compiler.
>
> Joseph Myers wrote:
> > As far as I'm concerned, the installation instructions are accurate but
> > incomplete; they document the use of gnatgcc, and different C and Ada
> > compilers, but do not state the required versions.  I've applied the
> > following patch (mainline and 3.1 branch) to document what I understand
> > the GNAT version requirements to be, and the lack of configure sanity
> > checks.
>
> That looks fine. [ patch deleted ]
>
> > I would support the addition to the documentation of a URL where bootstrap
> > compiler binaries that are tested to work can be downloaded.
>
> Janis has been maintaining the build status page; that seems to be an
> appropriate way to track Ada builds as well.

Yes, particularly since the build status page has a link to the message
reporting each build, which can include any information that might be
useful.  There are already some reports for 3.0 that include URLs to
compiler binaries to download.

The "Final Installation" section of the installation instructions has a
list of information to include in a report of a successful build.  If
there are additional things to include for Ada, please submit a patch to
add them to that list.

Janis