This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [Ada] Patch to fix bug reporting instructions (3.1 branch)
- From: Joe Buck <Joe dot Buck at synopsys dot com>
- To: jsm28 at cam dot ac dot uk (Joseph S. Myers)
- Cc: Joe dot Buck at synopsys dot COM (Joe Buck), bosch at gnat dot com (Geert Bosch),gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 07:50:59 -0700 (PDT)
- Subject: Re: [Ada] Patch to fix bug reporting instructions (3.1 branch)
> > I think that it suffices to provide accurate installation instructions.
> > It's too hard to produce software that detects and behaves correctly in
> > any possible situation. That is, if someone follows the instructions they
> > get a working compiler.
Joseph Myers wrote:
> As far as I'm concerned, the installation instructions are accurate but
> incomplete; they document the use of gnatgcc, and different C and Ada
> compilers, but do not state the required versions. I've applied the
> following patch (mainline and 3.1 branch) to document what I understand
> the GNAT version requirements to be, and the lack of configure sanity
That looks fine. [ patch deleted ]
> I would support the addition to the documentation of a URL where bootstrap
> compiler binaries that are tested to work can be downloaded.
Janis has been maintaining the build status page; that seems to be an
appropriate way to track Ada builds as well.
I'm sure that when we ship, we will find a few unpleasant surprises.
These might require fixes in 3.1.1.