Re: Variable too large

 Dan> Hi all, I am writing a port of gcc for a 16-bit DSP. I have been
 Dan> trying to create struct's which are 32K+ bytes in size, but keep
 Dan> getting the error that they are too large. Having rooted around
 Dan> in the code, I see that a variable cannot have a size greater
 Dan> than 2^15 bytes (for a 16-bit machine). Why is there such a
 Dan> restriction? I can't find any mention of such a limit in the
 Dan> standard documents. Why is the limit not 2^16 bytes?

I see the same error with the PDP11 target.

This seems wrong.  Clearly the target can deal with data structures up
to 2^16 bytes, so long as the coder is careful to treat addresses and
offsets as unsigned.  That's a habit that has been pounded into the
skulls of anyone who works on platforms like that...

       paul