Re: [Ada] Patch to fix bug reporting instructions (3.1 branch)

On Wednesday, May 1, 2002, at 08:52 , Joe Buck wrote:
> I would prefer it if this were true (that GCC 3.1 suffices).  I wouldn't
> impose it as an absolute requirement, but wouldn't be thrilled if it
> were violated.

I agree completely with this. In practise it is true that when using
a complete and consistent configuration (matching C/Ada compilers),
older versions do almost always work.

For example, although we only guarantee that GNAT v3.14 will bootstrap
the current sources, in practise a compiler as old as v3.12 (two years
older) may in fact work and build problems usually arise from using
broken binary distributions or mixing/matching compilers.

I expect this to remain true, but we don't want to be forced to
guarantee that, since it is inpractical to even test and there
may be good reasons to change things in the future.

   -Geert