gcc 3.1 won't built along with binutils 2.12 on sparc-*-*

Richard,

This patch:

2002-04-24  Richard Henderson  <rth@redhat.com>

	* configure.in (HAVE_GAS_HIDDEN): Detect sparc binutils 2.12
	linker bug.

has broken all of my GCC+binutils builds on sparc-solaris2.[567] and
sparc-linux-gnu.  The problem is that the newly-introduced code
assumes gcc_cv_as is the assembler that is going to be used by GCC,
but in the case we're going to use the `newly built as', that is yet
to be built at gcc's configure time, we can't perform any such tests.

It turned out that, on Solaris, gcc_cv_as had been set to
/usr/ccs/bin/as, that doesn't accept `-KPIC' (it must be spelled `-K
PIC', with a blank).  Even then, it did not support hidden.
On GNU/Linux, gcc_cv_as was an old version of GNU as that didn't
support .hidden either, so configure bailed out with

configure: error: [internal error -- confused about linking]

(because conftest.o had not been created)

I suggest moving the test for .hidden into the `if x$gcc_cv_as != x'
block, fixing the spelling of `-K PIC' and/or getting the code to
tolerate assembler failures, and perhaps bumping up the version
numbers in the version-based test for the case of builtin in a unified
tree.