Re: GCC 3.1 Release

David O'Brien wrote:

>I feer that with the divergent stable/unstable release cycle less GCC
>developers will spend time on the stable releases -- instead wanting to
>do fresh development/changes/enhancements to the unstable release.  And
>also that doing a stable/unstable release cycle will create longer times
>between when large changes can happen

I don't think that has to be the case. Full, stable releases could be
handled largely the same as they are now. The only difference is that
there would be one or more shorter (perhaps 1-2 weeks) stabilization
periods between each major release, during which the tree would be
closed to major changes. If anything there would be _more_ time for
major changes to land, since I think it would be more reasonable to
extend the stable release cycle out to say 8 or 10 months if there were
unstable releases as well.

regards

Bryce.