Re: GCC 3.1 Prerelease

These are the PA issues regarding the 3.1 release:

Fortran:

PR6138: Incorrect access of interger*1 variables on PA.

This is a regression from 3.0.x, and it also affects powerpc. In my opinion,
it is a verious serious bug affecting many programs and should be fixed
before the 3.1 release.  The problem is in the front-end, in code that
I am not familiar with.

C++:

g++.jason/synth5.C: this testsuite fail is a regression that occurred
about March 15.  The errors are:

synth5.h:3: storage size of `_ZTI1A' isn't known
synth5.h:7: storage size of `_ZTI1B' isn't known

At the moment, I don't consider this regression to be a very serious problem.
It also affects powerpc.

C:

This thread <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-04/msg00534.html> discusses
a problem initially found building bleadperl with hppa64-hp-hpux.  While
there is a problem with the machine definition, the analysis done so
far points to problems in register allocation and optimization as the root
causes of the compilation failure.  These problems are not in 3.0.x.

The register allocation issue seems similar to that discussed in this
thread <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2002-04/msg01094.html>.  In
the PA case, a FP register was selected in a situation where a general
register should have been selected.

Dave