Re: Automated Regression Testing

On 15 Apr 2002, Diego Novillo wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-04-15 at 19:15, Joe Buck wrote:
> > Bruce Korb writes:
> >
> > > I have access to HP/UX and AIX lab machines, but they
> > > are behind firewalls.  (Solaris, too, but I think you
> > > have that covered.)  It would be necessary to reach out
> > > rather than have your regression box reach in.  I also
> > > have to get permission, but it can only be considered
> > > if the "slave" reaches out.
> >
> > Agreed: I could donate some resources iff the architecture is that
> > that the machine donating the cycles reaches out, running only
> > code that is easily audited.  Any corporate computer security folks
> > so lax as to permit the remote end to log in should have their
> > sanity questioned: no matter how careful we are, it would be
> > a huge cracker magnet (subvert the master and you control the
> > slaves).
> >
> Geoff,
>
> Would it be possible to run a simple daemon on gcc.gnu.org that would
> respond with a piece of work every time the satellite testers sent it a
> request?
>
> The daemon would listen to a specific TCP port and would return a
> formatted string telling the tester what to do.  Only the master tester
> would be able to add new work items to the daemon's queue.
>
> If you think that's feasible, I volunteer to implement it.

Feasible but I think that'd be overkill.  IIUC all you need is a
set of patches (or alternatively, a tag, but I think it'd be too
intrusive to have a tag for each regression run and IIRC
cvs up -D isn't reliable).

Vague recollection: Jason Molenda had something that controlled
a set of patches that could be retrieved on request, supposedly
to lighten CVS load, but it was found not needed or something.
Hmm, maybe it was in essence what you describe.  The better;
it's already written! :-)

brgds, H-P