Re: Propose PR 6160 as high priority

>     But I'd like an answer to one question:  Is the version of gnatgcc and
>     gnatbind installed on this system recent enough to build the 3.1 ada
>     compiler correctly?  Here is some version information I sent to Florian
>
>     dino01% gnatbind -v /dev/null
>
>     GNATBIND 5.00w (20010924) Copyright 1995-2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc
>
> Those Ada sources should be *recent* enough, but "GNAT 5" means a GNAT build
> with GCC 3 and I don't remember if the sources of that date work well
> enough to bootstrap.  You are supposed to use 3.14 or 3.15.

OK, so I understand from your reply that the answer is "yes, no, and maybe".

It seems that there are two ways one can go:

1.  The gcc bootstrap way---write the code so it can be compiled by "any"
    "reasonable" compiler to build a first-pass compiler, then use that to
    bootstrap.

2.  The ada way---require certain compilers for the build to work.

But in 2, you should test whether the compiler you find will work.  And
the ada configure doesn't do that.

Brad