Re: Why doesn't -fomit-frame-pointer work(very well)?

> >Since the two register I'm adding are virtual, then that should change
> >REG_ALLOC_ORDER since thoser oare *physical* registers...
>
> I was trying to say "Since the two registers I'm adding are virtual,
> then that should *not* change REG_ALLOC_ORDER since REG_ALLOC_ORDER
> deals with physical registers, not virtual.

The compiler considers any register less than FIRST_PSEUDO_REGISTER to be
a real register.  So you have to consider the soft frame pointer as a
physical register that just happens to never be used in the final code,
because it has always been eliminated.

The virtual frame pointer is yet another register, that is eliminated
early on in the compilation of a function (see instantiate_virtual_regs).

R.