Re: gcc development schedule [Re: sharing libcpp between GDB and GCC]

Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 10:17:03PM -0500, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
> >  > (E.g. it takes about 10x longer to do "cvs update" on the 3.0
> >  > branch than the trunk.)
> >
> > Yeah, what's up with that?  (I thought it was just me.)
>
> The way RCS stores branches makes the cost of calculating diffs from a
> branch tip proportional to the number of versions on the branch *and*
> the distance between the branchpoint and top-of-trunk.  I imagine
> update has to do diffs for some reason.
>
> That's the problem I know about; there may be others.

The Subversion version control system (http://subversion.tigris.org)
stores the tip of each branch in full text, not as deltas --- for
files modified on that branch, at least.  It should also be very cheap
to create branches; the cost isn't proportional to the size of the
tree being branched.

Or at least, that's the way it's *supposed* to be.  :) Subversion is
still a ways from a 1.0 release.  But the developers are using it to
manage its own source tree.

Something to keep in mind in the future.