Re: -MD together with -save-temps broken

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 10:44:42PM +0000, Neil Booth wrote:
> Daniel Egger wrote:-
>
> > -MD still appears to work in cpp (existing behaviour) but is not
> > documented in `cpp --help -v`.
>
> Hmm.  I'm not sure what to do about this.  The above command gives
>
> Usage: cpp0 [switches] input output
>
> so it appears that it intends to document the internal interface to
> cpp0, which I'd assumed we would leave undocumented.  If this is the
> case, then not having -MD and -MMD is correct.
>
> However, if it's meant to document cpp, then we should add -MD and -MMD,
> and fix the usage line (to what?  Hardcode "cpp"?)

--help should document the external interface; that's what's relevant
to users.

A complication is, we want those options to show up in gcc --help as
well as cpp --help, and in that context we want the Usage: line for
gcc, not cpp.  How about if we change cpplib's display_help() routine
to just print the switches; export it; and call it at the appropriate
place from cppmain.c and c-lang.c after printing a sane Usage line?

zw