Re: More test results...

> I'm still unclear as to why we're getting that error.  Isn't the
> complier and linker supposed to use the "gnu link once" technology to
> eliminate redundant instantiations?

Yes.  And it works properly for me, but I haven't updated my tree since the
1st.

> | It looks like the best approach would be to use a base class for this
> | data. Here's a patch that does that: we'll have to wait for Gaby's ok
> | to check it in.

> Independently of what is happening in the compiler, I think your patch
> is good because it will improve the overall footprint.

I'm uncomfortable with the change, as it means that the value of those
variables is now part of the ABI; to change the value from the default, you
need to define a version in the derived class.  That may be OK, but it
makes me uneasy.

Jason