This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: More test results...
- From: Jason Merrill <jason at redhat dot com>
- To: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: Benjamin Kosnik <bkoz at redhat dot com>, libstdc++ at gcc dot gnu dot org,stephen dot webb at bregmasoft dot com, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:10:36 +0000
- Subject: Re: More test results...
- References: <200203080717.g287HgF13948@fillmore.constant.com><firstname.lastname@example.org>
>>>>> "Gabriel" == Gabriel Dos Reis <email@example.com> writes:
> I'm still unclear as to why we're getting that error. Isn't the
> complier and linker supposed to use the "gnu link once" technology to
> eliminate redundant instantiations?
Yes. And it works properly for me, but I haven't updated my tree since the
> | It looks like the best approach would be to use a base class for this
> | data. Here's a patch that does that: we'll have to wait for Gaby's ok
> | to check it in.
> Independently of what is happening in the compiler, I think your patch
> is good because it will improve the overall footprint.
I'm uncomfortable with the change, as it means that the value of those
variables is now part of the ABI; to change the value from the default, you
need to define a version in the derived class. That may be OK, but it
makes me uneasy.