Re: Linkage of GPLed GCC to Closed Source via XML or Perl

On Mon, 04 Mar 2002, Bryce McKinlay wrote:

> James Michael DuPont wrote:
>
> >Besides, Noone else is really using it as far as I
> >know, and the only project that I have compiled are
> >the c,c++ and java compilers.
> >
> >I have a postgres database of 2gb with all the asts
> >from the stage2 bootstrap on my computer and am
> >writing cool queries to figure out how the tree nodes
> >are used.
> >

> Technical question: does your patched compiler dump out any AST info
> that isn't already dumped by -fdump-trees/tree-dump.c? ie is there more
> info there, or is the intent just to generate XML output so that it is
> more parseable by other tools?
>
> I always thought it would be a cool debugging tool to have some sort of
> gui for introspection of the AST. "p debug_tree(t)" in GDB does get
> boring after a while...

If you're looking for more interesting ways of examining the
ASTs, the ast-optimizer-branch is starting to show a few:

- Unparsing capabilities (could potentially be used as a
  source-to-source converter).

- Flowgraphs.

- Call graphs.

- Metrics (control flow complexity and logical complexity).

Diego.