This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [TESTCASE] Minimized testcase for AltiVec segfault
- From: Aldy Hernandez <aldyh at redhat dot com>
- To: Geoff Keating <geoffk at redhat dot com>
- Cc: kumar dot gala at motorola dot com, degger at fhm dot edu, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, dje at watson dot ibm dot com
- Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 12:58:47 +1100
- Subject: Re: [TESTCASE] Minimized testcase for AltiVec segfault
>>> Why can't varargs and vector arguments be supported under the SVR4
>> because things won't be aligned properly. and if they were,
>> we'd no longer be SVR4 abi compliant.
> Can you explain what doesn't get aligned? SVR4 always had 16-byte
> stack alignment (unlike some other ppc ABIs).
maybe i'm confusing myself here... how about the other ppc abis?
i didn't mean to single svr4 out.
>>> Isn't altivec still useful even if you can't pass vectors as
>> sure, but we don't need a flag to do that.
> But we do! We need a flag to tell the compiler _not_ to use altivec
> instructions for block copies, for example, on non-altivec chips.
but that's only dependant on -maltivec, not on abi. right?
Aldy Hernandez E-mail: email@example.com
Professional Gypsy Lost in Australia
Red Hat, Inc.