Re: [TESTCASE] Minimized testcase for AltiVec segfault

on 2/27/02 9:39 PM, Aldy Hernandez at aldyh@redhat.com wrote:

>>> care to share?
>>
>> You'd be deleting a feature, and worse, you'd be re-using the obvious
>> choice for the option that enables that feature for something
>> different, making it difficult to re-introduce that feature in future.
>
> a feature that no one would use.
>
> the same people who would want to link old code, wouldn't be able
> to write code that use varargs, vector arguments, etc, which is
> the reason for -mabi=altivec in the first place.

The case to watch out for is a user enabling AltiVec for one or two source
files in a project, the rest of which don't have it enabled.

It's common for code on Mac OS to have a small portion test for the presence
of AltiVec and then use it if available. I'd imagine that many other
projects on other OSes might want the same capability. (Consider SETI@Home.)

| Alexander M. Rosenberg           <mailto:alexr@_spies.com> |
| Nobody cares what I say. Remove the underscore to mail me. |