Re: Installation proposal

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 10:28:38PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> A sane system, to me, is one in which programs and libraries can find
> their dependencies without the user having to resort to setting
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH and *hoping* it will work, if they are installed in
> the location they were configured for.

IMO, there is *no* acceptible use of DT_RPATH, and the *only*
acceptible use of DT_RUNPATH must include the $ORIGIN token
available on recent Solaris and Linux.  Otherwise it becomes
impossible to move installations after the fact.

> - on HPUX...

"HPUX" and "sane" have never been uttered in the same sentence
without accompanying negatives.

> ... there are some dynamic linkers in which LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> (or the equivalent) won't do what you want.

Which is "broken" not "sane".

r~