Re: Installation proposal

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:12:29PM -0500, David Edelsohn wrote:
> 	Either you have overwritten the user's choice for prefix, which
> means that the compiler no longer can be installed where the user
> originally intended, *OR* install/bin/g++ will not work because it will
> look in /some/user/prefix/lib/gcc-lib/...
>
> 	Or, are you saying that you somehow want GCC to recognize the
> directory into which it was installed and access all files with relative
> paths so that $prefix no longer would be built into the compiler and only
> used for installation?

Well GCC already does relative pathname lookup (ie, on UNIX type systems if you
invoke foo/bar/install/bin/gcc, it will look for the compiler components in
foo/bar/install/lib/...).  It was added in November 8th of 1999.  Maybe I'm
missing exactly what you are asking.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304