This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Installation proposal
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28 at cam dot ac dot uk>
- To: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: "gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:53:28 +0000 (GMT)
- Subject: Re: Installation proposal
On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> > Please ensure that this installs all shared libraries (most importantly
> > libgcc, but the others as well) in a safe manner.
> Do we actually do all this at this point? Or are you asking for a new
> feature? If you are, I am likely to punt. If we already know how to do
> this somewhere, then I will copy the logic.
When investigating the safety of libgcc installation before, I found that
the shared libgcc was installed with the C install (when everything else
was installed by install-sh). This may not be atomic, but is much safer
than install-sh which is guaranteed to fail if the system mv binary is
linked against libgcc.
Joseph S. Myers