Re: Installation proposal

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> > Please ensure that this installs all shared libraries (most importantly
> > libgcc, but the others as well) in a safe manner.
>
> Do we actually do all this at this point?  Or are you asking for a new
> feature?  If you are, I am likely to punt.  If we already know how to do
> this somewhere, then I will copy the logic.

When investigating the safety of libgcc installation before, I found that
the shared libgcc was installed with the C install (when everything else
was installed by install-sh).  This may not be atomic, but is much safer
than install-sh which is guaranteed to fail if the system mv binary is
linked against libgcc.

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-03/msg01327.html

--
Joseph S. Myers